Friday, February 6, 2009

Tuesday / Lobster Sunchoke Risotto

Inspired by a lovely post on Last Night's Dinner the other day, I decided to forgo the usual lobster treatment (boiled, dipped in butter) and use our two 1-1/4 pound fresh Maine lobsters in a creamy risotto.
After steaming up the lobsters, I broke them down, picked all the meat, and tossed the shells in a large stockpot with a bunch of veggie ends to make a stock. I reserved the meat on the side, and went about chopping up a handful of sunchokes (a vegetable I've been curious about for ages, but have never actually used!), several shallots, and a bit of fennel to add to the rice. After an hour or so of stirring and gradually adding the lobster stock, the rice was perfectly tender and the sauce silky. I stirred in the lobster meat, a bit of creme fraiche, more salt and pepper, and garnished with fennel fronds.

The result was pretty wonderful, if I do say so myself. The flavors were delicate, but distinct, and the dollop of creme fraiche gave the whole dish a delicious creaminess. I also tossed together a quick salad of spicy arugula dressed in lemon juice and olive oil, which was the perfect companion to to the rich risotto.

Even though Maine lobsters only set you back $6.99 per pound in the off-season (the same as hamburger meat, here in NYC!), they have the ability to make any meal feel pretty darn fancy. We all felt like we were living large on Tuesday night. -mro

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I just prepared my first sunchokes tonight (braised collards creamed with sunchoke / onion puree) and have completely fell in love! We just moved to MA, and I learned tonight that sunchokes are native to MA, which got me thinkin'... what other local food could I tie in? Lobster, of course! I ran a search, and here is your lovely blog with another recipe I can't wait to try! Woo-hoo!! I do believe I'm going to start following your blog now!