Monday, January 19, 2009

Saturday / Collective Four Course Dinner

Saturday was a big day on Withers Street. Molly and I both had the all day cooking bug; she made a delicious soup (more on that coming soon) and I made my Coke braised short ribs. When JeffH came home and let us know his dear friends from out of town (Nick, Danny, & Andy) were coming over for dinner, a full on banquet took shape. I think I speak for everyone when I say how happy I was with it and how organically the whole process developed; it was a reminder of how powerful cooking with friends can be. While it wasn't planned, Fennel turned out to be the Iron Chef secret ingredient of the night.
First Course: Salad of Fennel, Beets, Carrots, Feta, and Parsley
Second Course: Jeff's Pasta with Eggplant & Fennel Ragu
Third Course: Coke-Braised Short Rib (spiced with Ras Al Hanout) over Sauteed Kale and White Beans
Fourth Course: Goat Cheese with local Honey and Fennel Seed (Inspired by our visit to Babbo, this is perhaps my favorite dessert.)
Scarpetta: In Italian culture, 'scarpetta' or 'little shoes' describes the act of soaking up the juices from the cutting board with bread. If only we had bread on hand. (thats Pam on the right)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

An awesome meal! Thanks again for playing host...
-Nick

renerd said...

A.mazing...the food was only overshadowed by the company. You guys perfect!

Daniel said...

I was so overwhelmed by how good this food was that I momentarily forgot your names!

:)

Thanks for such a great meal, guys.