Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday / Experimental Lunch

On a clear, cold day such as this, our house feels mighty cozy - warmed by our hissing radiators and brightened by the strong midday sun, which splashes onto our living room floor and bounces back up to reflect on our kitchen ceiling. I couldn't help but be distracted from my work! It was just too tempting to be lured in by the romantic notion of enjoying a hearty, hot lunch for two.

Generally, we don't keep that many supplies in our fridge or pantry, but you can pretty much always count on breakfast staples: eggs, cheese, bacon. I decided to fold these three ingredients into a pasta carbonara - a rich, velvety, egg/bacon pasta. In theory it was a great idea: delicious ingredients, homemade pasta from the Italian joint down the street, good winter food.

In practice, though, it was kind of a disaster. The flavors worked well together and the pasta was cooked just right, but man, I really messed up the egg bit! Instead of the rich, velvety sauce, my whole dish was sprinkled with little bitty chunks of scrambled eggs. I know this is all part of the learning curve, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit annoyed. I'm hoping that with a few revisions, mainly tempering the egg mixture better next time, this dish's future incarnations will be a much more satisfying.

In the meantime, here are a few images of Pasta Carbonara, take 1:

-mro

No comments: