Sunday, April 5, 2009

Homemade Kombucha Part 1

One of the few things I really missed when moving back to New York from Texas in 2005 was GT's Kombucha. I became highly addicted to this fermented probiotic tea drink in Dallas, which was plentiful and cheap-ish but next to impossible to find here in NYC. For the first time in my whole life, I actually wrote to a company wondering where I could find it. A few years later it was everywhere and for twice the price. I still love the stuff but have been wanting to make it myself at home. A few weeks ago I got my hands on a Scoby or 'symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts' from Eric of Brewed in Brooklyn vis-a-vis the Kombucha class at BK (I recommend it to all). Fermentation is under way my friends and I couldn't be more excited.

2 comments:

al oof said...

it looks so clean and happy! don't let it overferment into a monster like mine. i think it's haunting the sewers now.

mosephine said...

I love Kombucha! I don't love the price tag. Can't wait to hear how this turns out. (this is Maura...mosephine is a long lost nickname.)